Filing a Police Report

  • To file a police report, contact the law enforcement agency where the assault occurred.

  • The Campus Advocate Team (CAT) provides advocates who can accompany you to a police station and help explain the process and your choices. Their services are completely free and confidential. You can reach them 24 hours a day at (707) 445-2881.
  • Use the Local Law Enforcement Agencies to find the contact information for local law enforcement agencies.

  • Once a police report has been filed, the police agency will determine the level of the investigation based on the circumstances and the extent to which the survivor interested in participating. The decision to prosecute belongs to the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office.

  • A SART exam may be ordered to collect evidence. Read about the exam on this website or contact the Campus Advocate Team (CAT) at (707) 445-2881 to discuss your options or ask any questions.

  • California law states that complainants of sexual assault have the right to state their name as "Jane Doe" or "John Doe" as a protection of their identity for paperwork that will be filed. Criminal court records would only reflect the name "Jane Doe" or "John Doe" and this name would be used when the survivor is testifying. However, the defendant/perpetrator will be able to see the survivor as the defendant has the right to see their accuser.

  • Whether or not your case is investigated and/or prosecuted by the District Attorney’s Office, if you can identify the perpetrator, you can file your own lawsuit in civil court to seek remedy or damages by hiring your own attorney.