Filing a Campus Complaint

Filing a Campus Complaint with the Title IX Office at Cal Poly Humboldt

Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to creating a campus free from violence and takes seriously all reports of sexual assault, sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, stalking and/or retaliation. Humboldt is committed to offering support to the survivor, preventing and responding to retaliation, investigating the allegation, and when the accused is found responsible, holding the perpetrator accountable.

If you are a student, staff, or faculty member at Humboldt and want to report sexual assault, sexual harassment, intimate partner vioelnce, domestic violence, stalking, and/or retaliation, you have two options:

1) You can meet with the Campus Advocate Team (CAT):

CAT can explain your options, including the process of reporting, and help you make an appointment with the Title IX Coordinator and accompany you for all or any part of the process of reporting.

CAT is an on-campus resource for students, staff, and faculty at Humboldt. CAT is a program of the North Coast Rape Crisis Team, a private, non-profit organization that has been contracted by Humboldt to provide specialized services to the Humboldt community. 

CAT works with the university, but not for Humboldt. Who CAT works for is survivors of sexualized violence, including stalking, sexual assault, sexual harassment, and intimate partner violence.

CAT provides 24-hour, completely confidential support to any Humboldt student, staff or faculty member who wants to talk about harm they've survived, or explore their options for support and/or holding accountable the person who harmed them.

CAT can be reached 24 hours a day at (707) 445-2881.

2) You can make a report yourself to the Humboldt Title IX Office:

To report any of the above incidents, you'll meet with David Hickcox, the Humboldt Campus Title IX Coordinator. Contact information:

David Hickcox
Campus Title IX Coordinator
Siemens Hall 212
Telephone:   (707) 826-5177 or (707) 826-3626
Office hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday

The Title IX Coordinator will provide you with options for support and accommodations as well as possibilities for holding accountable the person who harmed you.

Students who report having survived an incident of sexual violence will not be subject to discipline for related violations of the Student Conduct Code, including violations of University drug or alcohol policies, except in extreme cases involving harm to others.

By contacting the Campus Title IX Coordinator you may be able to access the following types of support on campus:

    • changes to academic or living situations;
    • an arrangement for you to re-take or withdraw from a class without penalty;
    • academic support services, such as tutoring;
    • a review of any proposed disciplinary actions against you to see if there is a causal connection between the discipline and the alleged incident;
    • in extraordinary cases where safety may be endangered, an escort between campus locations;
    • assistance with receiving priority appointments at CAPS and the Student Health Center.

The Title IX Coordinator will discuss your options with you. You have the choice to stop the complaint process, unless it's determined that there is an imminent threat to the broader campus community, in which case the process might continue against your wishes.

Other Information

If you are a student employee and the incident happened in your workplace, click here for more information.

There are four CSU Executive Orders that cover the policies and process regarding sexualized violence and the university's responsibility in responding. You can read these Executive Orders by following these links:

CSU Executive Order 1095

CSU Executive Order EO 1096

CSU Executive Order EO 1097

CSU Executive Order EO 1098

Alternatively or in addition to working with the Title IX Office, you may file a report with the University Police Department or another local law enforcement agency. Find out more information about reporting options at UPD or another law enforcement agency.

This project was supported by Grant No. 2012-WA-AX-0004 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office of Violence Against Women.